Thursday, February 7, 2008

I saw a U.F.O.

As I mentioned the other day our sojourn to the Nashville Flying Saucer Draught Emporium was pallet bending. The selection was nothing short of magnificent. In fact, the only other beer bar that I've personally been to with that kind of selection is the world-famous Falling Rock Taphouse. And I'm pretty sure they don't have 175 beers available. While both are on my list of beer bars to visit before you die, Flying Saucer wins hands down. In fact, I loved it so much I'm looking at franchise possibilities. Possibilities being the key word there.

I joined their U.F.O. Club ($14 gets you a T-shirt, membership card, and the chance to get your name engraved on a plate and stuck up on the wall). Only... I left the T-shirt sitting on the bench upon my inebriated departure. How inebriated? Well, here's what I had:

Pints:

Build-Your-Own Flight sampler that included 5 five ounce pours of:
And for kicks, two Beer Mixers:
How can I remember all that? Weeeeell... I may have been hammered, and I think I saw a U.F.O. too - but I remember damn good beer. (Full disclosure: I took home a menu from the joint. What, you thought I remembered all those off the top of my head? Bwaaahahaha!)

The two Rocherforts were absolutely exquisite, as were the brews from Ommegang. I was surprised by the maltiness of the Dos Perros and the Dinkel-Acker Dark, but they were a great change of pace to the Belgians I was gulping. The mixers were, surprisingly, very tasty. Ya ya... I like fruit beers. So what?

As you know, I don't do technical reviews. Good. Bad. That's my grading policy. The thing I've found over the years - reviews are wholly subjective to each individual, so why bother? The biggest reason though... I don't like taking notes when I'm drinking beer. I'm drinking beer people - not doing homework! So I've linked every beer I tasted that night to the fine BeerAdvocate community where you can read far more technical reviews of each one. Think I picked some pretty great beers considering the overall score of each one on BA.

You'll notice there are no pix from my excursion. Well, I forgot my digital camera and it was too dark for my lame cell phone camera to function. Guess that means I have to go back soon. Oh... darn. Give me a hollah if you've had any of these beers and let me know your thoughts.

Until next time... Zivjeli!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i poured for ommegang at the gabf last year. great people, unbelieveable beers. i typically like to wander around as a roving relief pourer (to sample all the more) but i couldn't move on past the ommegang booth. the three philosophers was... incredible... i wanted to swap it out with my blood wholesale-stylee like keith richards.