The Beer: Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Company in Kailua Kona, Hawaii.
From the Brewer: Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste. Koko Brown pairs well with coconut and caramel flavors, such as Thai curries, BBQ meats and carne asada. Its refrehsing nutty aroma makes for the perfect beer after a day on the water.
The Beer Box Score
- Style: Black IPA
- ABV: 5.5%
- Malts: Premium 2-Row, Victory, Carapils, Munich, Chocolate
- Hops: Cascade, Willamette, Warrior, Millennium
- Yeast: Ale
- OG: 13.3° Plato
- Extras: Toasted coconut added to the mash
- Distribution: Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
- Availability: From March - April
- Beer Advocate: B from users; NA from brothers
- Rate Beer Score: 93% overall, 97% in style
- Beer Tap TV Rapid Classification: Class II (Minor Taste Buds Turbulence)